Back to construction equipment gallery
Area of application
The main application area was the maintenance of dirt roads, but it could also be used in construction work for new roads. By these means horses could be replaced by a tractor for towing with heavier work.
Horse-drawn road graders were made between 1913 and 1930 by the Dominion Road Machinery Co., which later became Champion Road Machinery, located in Goderich, Canada.
The motor grader on display, which was built in 1928, was known as the Champion motor grader model 810 with "leaning front wheels".
It was obtained from a collector in Fort Eire, Ontario, Canada. Its restoration, which was completed in 2003, was undertaken by a group of volunteers, all members of the Goderich Antique Grader Club.
Click the picture to enhance
Champion road grader model 810
Drive Horse-drawn by 6 or 8 horses
Platform Platform over rear axle for coachman and operator
Axles Two axles, the rear is adjustable ± 400 mm laterally. Front axle wheels are tiltable.
Grader blade, size w/h 2 440/500 mm
Weight 1 840 kg